Sunday, October 9, 2011

Stuffed French Toast with Berries


Brunch for one please!

My friend Brent and I had planned to make a decadent brunch this morning but sadly he came down with an awful cold. I considered just pouring myself a bowl of cereal but being a breakfast and brunch lover I still made the stuffed french toast that we had picked out earlier in the week as I was craving a big breakfast.

I was excited when I went to Target and saw they had Wheat French Bread. Yes, wheat, not whole wheat but the fiber content was better than the white so I felt better about eating a large portion. I also picked up a container of raspberry to top the french toast vs making the strawberry sauce that the recipe suggested. Less work and just as good. While cooking for one can sometimes be no fun I found my morning kitchen session perfect. No one home, windows open enjoying the perfect fall weather, past Cities 97 samplers shuffling on my Ipod and a new pumpkin candle burning in the dining room...pure bliss.  
THE INGREDIENTS

Preparation: French bread with the cream cheese filling ready to be dipped in the egg mixture

Mmmmm....cooking...

The finished product: Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast with Raspberries and Light Syrup


Sina's Rating: 5 out of 5
I would definitely make this again for a few reasons. I liked using a french bread as the base (although I picked out a non crusty one) and I also found the milk, vanilla extract and egg mixture easily absorbable for the bread compared to a heavier egg mixture. Since I love cinnamon I added some to the milk mixture before I dipped the bread which gave it a great flavor and the fresh berries on top were perfect. Very easy, delicious and a healthier french toast breakfast. 

Sina's recipe adjustments (in blue):

Ingredients

  • 12 (1-ounce) diagonally cut slices French bread
  • 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • (8-ounce) tub reduced-fat cream cheese
  • 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • large egg whites
  • large eggs
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Preparation

    • Cut a horizontal slit through bottom crust of each slice of bread to form a pocket (I cut the bread in thin slices). Combine powdered sugar and cream cheese; stir well. Spread mixture evenly into pockets of bread (I put cream cheese between two of the thin slices).
    • Combine milk, sugar, vanilla extract, egg whites, and eggs in a bowl; beat well with a wire whisk. Pour milk mixture evenly over bread slices. Cover and chill 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed (As I was hungry, I fully immersed the bread in the milk mixture for a few seconds then cooked immediately after that vs waiting an hour)
    • Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot. Arrange half of bread slices in skillet, and cook 3 minutes. Turn bread over, and cook 3 minutes or until browned; remove from skillet. Repeat procedure with the remaining bread slices.
    • I served mine with fresh raspberries and light maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment