Sunday, October 2, 2011

Food of the Month

I can't believe it's already October. While the leaves have started to change the weather here in Minnesota has been unseasonably warm with expected highs in the upper 70's/low 80's all week. It was a perfect weekend for me from weather to Wisconsin sports (if you  missed it the Badgers, Brewers and Packers all won) to a belly full of delicious, crunchy, sweet apples!

It's apple season and I am so happy about it. I'm not a person that eats apples year round but when it comes to the fall I eat enough to last me the rest of the year. Lately, I've been on a two a day average switching off between Honeycrisp and Haralson's, both grown in Minnesota. If you couldn't tell, apples are this month's food of the month.


Apples contain ~ 90 calories, a little over 3 grams of fiber and surprisingly they are ~85% water. They are very nutritious for us containing many nutrients including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, pectins and fiber. A new variety available this year is called the SweeTango which was developed by the University of Minnesota. It is said to have the texture of a honeycrisp and the flavor of a Zestar. I can't wait to try it or hear your reviews if you took a bite out of one already.

If you want to eat more fruit or are craving something sweet and fresh grab an apple and start crunching away.
Want more information on Minnesota apple varieties flavor and use? Check out UMN extensions link below

No comments:

Post a Comment