Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Potato Leek Soup

You may be wondering if our crop share ended since I haven't posted in awhile. The answer is no and the reason I hadn't posted in awhile is the recent shares have been for foods that we often eat raw (carrots, lettuce, arugula, cucumbers) or things like onions and garlic that I add to everything.

This past weeks share I did receive a few special treats: potatoes and leeks. It was like someone was saying to me "Make potato leek soup." I have had leeks at restaurants but I've never cooked with them before so I was so happy to get them in my crop share to prep on my own. I was also excited when I found a potato leek recipe that called for all ingredients I had at home: Potatoes (check), leeks (check), butter (check), broth (check even though I used chicken), salt, pepper and thyme (check- I used dried) and cream (As you can imagine I didn't have this but also didn't plan to use it; skim milk was my substitute). I also didn't make the cheddar toasts but they do sound amazing and I would recommend trying them if you have time.

Source: Cooking Light, October 2005



Notice the burned in "S" on my favorite wooden spoon. My friend Claire's mom did that by hand!

My first time with cooking with leeks was a success. Perfect for a cold fall evening or light meal. Probably good I made it a night my husband wasn't home for dinner as I don't think he would have enjoyed it as much. He prefers bold flavors and this was subtle and simple.  I'm not sure I would go out of my way to buy the ingredients to make it again unless I was sick and craving a light soup but I would recommend trying it you typically like potato soup or potato leek soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment