Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What do you do with 12 tomato plants?

Seeing bowls filled with fresh picked tomatoes from my garden makes me so excited to cook. My tomato supply is in peak season and I add about 6 more tomatoes to the bunch every 1-2 days, so what do I do with them all? For starters I eat 2-3 of them sliced up each day after work and was just telling my coworker I'm going to have withdrawals after my garden season is over. We also have enjoyed a few caprese salads thanks to my fresh supply of basil. I was hoping to try making homemade tomato juice this year to use for bloody mary's during Badger games but I'm still debating this as I'd have to learn how to can (canning is still on my list of things to learn, for now I just make things I can freeze).

There are still plenty of options to use up a lot of tomatoes. I love tomato basil soup but often can't enjoy it since it's made with (I'm lactose intolerant). I found this great recipe that I made for dinner and froze in containers to eat this fall. I'm going to make another batch (this time with a small amount of milk) as well since it was so good. I love soup for lunch in the fall and this will be a great treat to remind me of summer.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
 Source: Barefoot Contessa


We had the soup with an amazing side chopped salad of refrigerator leftovers (chick peas, corn off the cob, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and vinaigrette) and my favorite, Spotted Cow Beer. 


I've also made 4 large batches of fresh salsa so far this summer.

I use a food processor when I make salsa since it's much quicker than dicing. I don't follow a recipe but I made sure to pay attention to what I added this time so I could share.

Sina's Garden Salsa
First: Add the following ingredients to your food processor: 1/3 of a white or yellow onion, 1 green bell pepper, 2 jalapeno peppers (without seeds), 1 habenero pepper (optional for spice) and 1/2 bunch of cilantro

Next, slice tomatoes in half and add them to the food processor. Hit the pulse button 10-13 times until it's a good consistency for you. I used smaller tomatoes (around a roma size) and added 14 to this batch.


Voila, you're done and the outcome is a delicious homemade salsa to use with chips or tacos. This is my husbands favorite!


Next up, homemade marinara sauce to freeze for the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment