Monday, August 1, 2011

Food of the Month

I picked my first tomato from my garden last week and was so overtly excited that it's officially tomato season. While farmers markets and other gardens have had tomatoes fresh for most of July mine are just coming into bloom. Since starting the food of the month I have anticipated using tomatoes and now the time has come! I am so obsessed with tomatoes I don't even know how to start and can't even imagine typing all the recipes I have using fresh tomatoes. For one most of the dishes don't have recipes. Fresh salsa, marinara sauce and tomato soup are things I just whip up and taste as I go. I'm so excited that I have 12 tomato plants this year. I know I'll have no issue using them and I may even get fancy and try canning some of my salsa and sauce or make homemade tomato juice!

First thing first I want to try to answer a common question that arises. Are tomatoes a fruit or a vegetable?
This is an ongoing debate and depends on who you ask. Botanists would say they are a fruit because botanically they grow like fruits but the United States Department of Agriculture, horticulturists and most dietitians classify it as a vegetable. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I read this statement online today (also showing the debate has been going on for centuries): "On May 10, 1893, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the tomato is a vegetable and, as such, is subject to import taxes under the United States Tariff Act of 1883.

What's in it? 
One medium sized tomato (3'' diameter) has ~ 30-35 calories and is a rich source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Tomatoes also contain an antioxidant called lycopene which has been studied for it's cancer fighting properties. Lycopene protects our cells from oxygen damage which can help white blood cells and may also help prevent heart disease.

Now how to use them. Well if you're like me then you'll pick 'em, slice 'em and top them with a dash of salt and pepper or olive oil and balsamic vinegar (I can eat a few tomatoes at a time when they're in season).
And last but not least...a few great tomato recipes worth listing...

I made these sandwiches for my mom and I when she was in town. While I've made MANY caprese panini's with basil, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella this one was by far the best. The determining factor was balsamic reduction.
Rating: Sina: 5, Becca (my mom): 5

Tomato Bruschetta (once again I don't use a recipe but here is the gist, measurements may vary a little)
Ingredients
-French or Italian Bread
-2-4 tomatoes diced
~1-2 Tbsp olive oil
~1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
-12-20 basil leaves diced (I like a lot)
-dash of salt and pepper
-Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Slice bread and toast in the oven on broil
Mix tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar and basil and layer on top of bread slices. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper. Grate Parmesan on top and serve immediately. You can always prepare the topping ahead of time and assemble them on bread later if you are bringing it to a party.
Rating: Sina: 5, Ryan: 4.5

Caprese Salad
-Slice tomato and fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese and layer every other. Sprinkle with cut up basil and drizzle with olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper and serve
Rating: Sina: 5, Ryan: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment