Sunday, July 3, 2011

Food of the Month

It took awhile to heat up this summer but now that it has it sure feels good. Most of the time by July the hot temps can be bothersome but after all the rainy days I'm enjoying my 80 and 90 degree days.This time of year I always crave cold things and berries are on the top of that list. July's featured food is blueberries. If you've watched the news or read any magazine in the past 5-10 years then it will be no surprise to you that this small, vibrant, juicy fruit is a "super food." They are low in calories, only 80 per cup, and rich in nutrients. In addition, these small blue berries are a great source of Vitamin C (1 serving has 14 mg--about 25% of our recommended intake for the day) and rich in antioxidants which protect our cells from damage. The good thing about this super fruit is that it is packed with flavor so it's easy to indulge! 
As I'm writing this I'm enjoying fresh blueberries in my yogurt...Mmm. Besides eating them plain my other favorite ways to eat them are in smoothies, cereal or baked into oatmeal pancakes. Really you can add them to anything including salads or salad dressings.

Another benefit of blueberries for me is the memories that they bring back. Growing up my friend Katie ( who I was inseparable from) and I used to go to my cabin for the 4th of July and we started a tradition of making an American flag cake. It's a great dessert for the 4th because it is quick to make (doesn't require baking) refreshing and contains fruit! Start with pound cake (growing up we used Sara Lee) cut thin and layered in the bottom of a 9 x 11 pan. Next layer on fat free cool whip and then top with strawberries and blueberries to look like a flag. There are many variations of these flags including layered puddings and other fruit cakes with the fruit and whipped cream toppings. If you don't have something to serve for tomorrow whip this up this afternoon. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ours never looked this good but this gives you an idea of what it turns out like

No comments:

Post a Comment