Monday, April 18, 2011

Easter Candy Calories


Easter is the second highest time of year for candy sales, behind Halloween, and my personal favorite time of year for candy choices! In my eyes everything from the egg and bunny shapes to the pastel colors and flavor choices outshine the Halloween options. Most of the popular Easter candies come in mini egg shapes that are lower in calories than larger chocolate bunnies but they are also easier to over indulge in. Another popular choice (the most popular non-chocolate Easter candy to be exact) are the cute marshmallow shaped Peeps which come in the form of Chicks, Bunnies or Eggs.  


As I walked through the Easter candy aisle at Target a few weeks ago I was curious how the calories compared in some of these delicious treats so behold my Easter candy calorie list.

Chocolate Candy:
-1 Large  Solid Milk Chocolate Rabbit (based on my calculations using the calories in small bunnies) 12 ounce = ~2000 calories
-5 Nestle Butterfinger Nest Eggs Easter = 210 calories
-12 Cadbury Chocolate Mini Eggs = 190 calories (My favorite)
-1 Reese's Peanut Butter Egg= 190 calories
-12 Hershey's Whoopers Robin Eggs Mini Malted Milk Candy = 190 calories
-5 Nestle Crunch nest eggs = 180 calories
-1 Cadbury Cream Egg =150 calories (My brothers favorite)
-1 Brach's Chocolate covered marshmallow egg = 43 calories

Non-Chocolate Candy 
-One package of Peep's Marshmallow Chicks = 150 calories
-35 assorted Jelly Belly's = 140 calories
-4 Chicks, Ducks or Bunny sweet tarts = 60 calories

...by the way I went with the cream filled mini Cadbury Eggs but am still having regrets for not choosing the mini Cadbury eggs pictured above.

6 comments:

  1. Those Mini-Cadbury chocolates are my all-time favorites! I have to tell you, I did already buy one package of those this Easter season. And they were delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't bring myself to buy them since I knew I'd finish the whole package in less than a week. While I do miss them I'm also happy I don't have the stomach ache that follows

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they make them in dark chocolate? Then they would be good and "good for you"!

    Any tips for Easter brunch? Other than stay away from the dessert table, and fill up on the salad bar!

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forget the mini Cadbury eggs, the big ones are the way to go, trust me.

    - Your Brother

    ReplyDelete
  5. GRETA Here are my Easter brunch tips
    -Get the eggs!!! Most brunches have an omlette bar. Ask if they have egg whites they can use for your omlette and load it with veggies. Last year I was the first person to ask for the egg whites and we didn't eat until noon...I was kinda suprised by that but my omelette was delicious and filling.
    -After that load up on the veggies: salad, cooked vegetable, etc...
    -Lastly, if you have a sweet tooth like me then save room for a little dessert. I would rather eat cheesecake then waste my calories on the high fat brunch items like the cream pastas, cheesy potatoes, etc...I go into it figuring I'll have some dessert and eat a healthier entree it is a holiday after all.

    Nick- I thought of you when I bought the Cadbury eggs you like. How many have you eaten so far this year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops - didn't see the brunch tips until too late. Had to have some of the yummy potatoes ... but just didn't mound my plate! :-)

    ReplyDelete