Friday, December 24, 2010

Our Christmas


My family is filled with people who love to cook and when we go home we're always treated to great food. My Aunt Nancy knows how to cook everything, from traditional Italian food (my dad's family is 100% Italian) to wholesome vegetable dishes from her garden. Then we have my mom and I who both love great food and new recipes. We're also graced with my brother's fiancee, Sara, a culinary school grad and professional pastry cook. After much deliberation, we decided to split cooking honors on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Today, Christmas Eve, Sara undertook the pivotal task of making a traditional four course Italian meal. Assisting is my dad, an eager culinary pupil, and my brother who has turned into our resident sous chef. Below they are seen creating the Butternut and acorn squash ravioli.
My dad's favorite meals consist of many courses, conversation, and wine. My two cousins, Maddi and Emily, are vegetarians so we have both meat and veggie dishes tonight. Our Christmas Eve menu is as follows:

Antipasti
-Plate of Italian Meats, Cheeses and Olives from Tenuta’s (a great Italian market in Kenosha, WI; definitely worth a trip).
-Winter Vegetables Panzanella (Italian bread salad)

Primi Piatti
-Squash ravioli with butter sage sauce

Secondi Piatti
-Braciole (Round steak flattened then layered with prosciutto, pine nuts, mozzarella and raisins rolled up, browned and simmered in marinara sauce for 6-8 hours)
-Stuffed Peppers for the Vegetarians

Dolce
Tiramisu Cake (Sara promised she would write a post with the recipe for me later)

My mom, Aunt Nancy, Maddi and I will have our turn in the kitchen tomorrow, Christmas Day. In order to spend Christmas with friends and family we brined the turkey and prepped our dishes today. Here is our list of sides:

-Curried Cauliflower with Capers Source: Cooking Light
     -Recipe changes: doubled the curry powder
-Swiss Chard and Sweet Potato Gratin Source: Smitten Kitchen 
      -Recipe changes: substituted skim milk for heavy cream



MMmmm...I can't wait to eat. May your holiday be filled with family and finger-lickin', lip-smackin', melt in your mouth food just like mine. 
BUON NATALE From: Tenley the elf (my fox red labrador retriever), Ryan, and I

No comments:

Post a Comment