Monday, May 23, 2011

Crop Share Box #1

This is the second year my husband and I have joined a crop share with our neighbors. We have a full share every other week package and our first box came last week. As a new addition to the blog I plan to share my journey cooking through all the unique vegetables that the boxes contain. I'll share what was in the box, new recipes I try with the vegetables and other information about the vegetables. To give you guys a better understanding of how the recipes tasted my husband I will also rank the taste of recipes. That way you can distinguish which may be worth trying. Our rating scale will be out of 5 stars.
  • 5 stars: Mouthwatering, when can I have it again? Will definitely make again.
  • 4 stars: Very good, a definite recipe to repeat.
  • 3 stars: Tasted good but nothing special, would make a variation of it again.
  • 2 stars: Something was missing but has potential to be fixed.
  • 1 star: Not good, would never make it again. 
After the cold and wet spring I wasn't sure what I would find in my first box. With much anticipation my neighbor Greta and I went together to find our pick up location and vegetables. After splitting things with Greta here is what our share looked like. 


Crop Share Box #1 
What this box contained: 
Sunchokes, Parsnips, Ramps, Overwintered Spinach, Black Radishes, Sorrels, Chives, Watercress and Nettles

Pictured Items from left to right:
Ramp, Spinach & Watercress (in bag), Sorrels, Chives
Sunchokes and Black Parsnip in front of bag

New recipes I made from items in this box: 
Fried Sunchoke chips with Rosemary Salt Source: Epicurious (from Greta)
Rating: 4.5 stars from Sina, 4 from Ryan

Other Recipes I've made so far:
Potato salad with Chives Recipe edited from recipes my mom made as a kid and online recipes
-Baby Red Potatoes, boiled then cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used ~5 pounds)
-Chives, diced (~1/2 cup or to taste)
-Light Sour Cream (~1 cup)
-Salt and Pepper to taste (don't be bashful)
Rating: Sina: 3 stars,  Ryan  2 stars
I love potato salads with a sour cream base but I think I would add garlic and more pepper next time.

Pasta with Ramps and Sorrel
Combine the following ingredients:
-Pasta noodles, cooked
-Sorrel and Ramps -washed, chopped and sauteed
-Olive oil
-Crushed red pepper
-2 garlic cloves
-salt and pepper
Sina: 3 stars, Ryan: 3


Interested in joining a crop share. Check out Local Harvest for farms close to you. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so fun! I am so impressed with the ramp and sorrel pasta (especially given what the Sorrel originally smelled like...).

    ReplyDelete