Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Beef Broccoli Stir Fry

Beef Broccoli Stir Fry (Cooking Light March 2011)
The first day back to work after vacation always comes as a shock. The relaxation quickly fizzles and responsibilities, deadlines and workloads accumulate quicker than anticipated. Today was day two back to work for my husband and I and knowing how busy he has been I decided to make a meal I knew he would love.  Let me first explain why I knew he would love this dish. First, you will have to know that I've never been a beef lover. My mom doesn't like steak so we didn’t have it as kids and once I tried it as an adult I wasn’t impressed. I'm a big texture eater and while the flavor of steak is usually delicious I don't like all the chewing that comes with it. Now, I know what most of you are thinking, "You just haven't had a good steak before." I've heard this line a million times and I’ve tried many different cuts, flavors and cooking methods.  Nine out of ten times I'm still turned off by the texture and only eat half an ounce (with the exception of a beef tenderloin I had at Manny's Steak house that melted in my mouth). That being said I don't cook beef often so my husband has to resort to ordering fancy steaks when we are out to eat. The second reason I knew he'd love my dinner choice was the fresh ginger and Sriracha added to the sauce; two things he loves. 

I knew I’d like the flavor of this dish and figured I’d pick out most of the beef but to my amazement I loved it and so did my husband. The beef wasn't chewy, the broccoli kept the perfect crunch and the flavor was delicious.


In situations when I cook something delicious my first instinct is to call my best friend Rachel to tell her about it (we started a cooking club last year since we both have such a passion for food and I knew she would love this). Well, she works second shift at the hospital so I’m sharing the recipe with my changes to my blog followers. You have to try this and tell me what you think.

Beef Broccoli Stir Fry (
Cooking Light March 2011) Sina's changes listed below

Recipe Substitution: 
-  Brown rice instead of white rice
-  Fresh grated ginger in place of bottled ground fresh ginger
-  Low sodium chicken broth in place of low sodium beef broth
Recipe Additions: 
-   I would recommend doubling the sauce (I made one batch of the sauce and added it as they described in the recipe but ended up making another side of it without the corn starch and 1/2 the sherry to add to the top of our dish since my husband likes a lot of sauce)
-    We added grated fresh ginger and extra Sriracha sauce to the top of stir fry for added spice

No comments:

Post a Comment