Monday, January 17, 2011

A Weekend of Food

Cold winter weekends always make me want to cook. This weekend my cooking escapades started with a fabulous brunch with my dear friend Brent. We started by making homemade hash browns; a first for both of us. We then made a poached egg dish with prosciutto, manchego cheese and crushed red peppers layered on a piece of toast: replicated from an entree at my favorite breakfast restaurant in Madison, Marigold Kitchen (If you are ever visiting you have to stop!).

My next kitchen endeavor was to prepare Sunday night dinner. After a very relaxing and productive weekend I thought my husband and I could use a good home cooked meal. Knowing the pork chop recipe I was going to make (Cuban Pork Chops with Mojo Source: Guy’s Big Bite- Food Network) I grabbed our Brussels sprouts and squash out of the refrigerator and put my thinking cap on. What should I do with my vegetables tonight? My inspiration for the Brussels sprouts came from the leftover prosciutto and manchego cheese from brunch. For those of you who think Brussels sprouts are bland think again.

Brussels Sprouts with Prosciutto
Ingredients:
-1 Tbsp Olive Oil
-1 pound Brussels Sprouts (stems trimmed off and cut in half)
-2 Tbsp water
-3 thin slices of Prosciutto, diced (Pancetta or bacon would also work)
-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
-1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
-1/8 cup white wine
-1-2 Tbsp shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese


Directions:
  1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil
  2. Add Brussels sprout and saute for 3 minutes
  3. Add water and cook for 3 more minutes (I covered my pot to slightly steam the sprouts)
  4. Add prosciutto pieces and garlic and continue saute for 5 minutes
  5. Reduce heat and add lemon juice and white wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan to get the flavors off and let cook for a few more minutes or until liquids have dissolved and Brussels sprouts are tender
  6. If desired, add shredded cheese to the top
       

Next, I had the task of seasoning the squash. Roasting is my favorite way to prepare squash (really most vegetable for that matter). Cinnamon and curry are my go to flavors for this starch and since I was in a creative mood I figured why not try mixing the two. Here’s what I came up with.

Curried Butternut Squash
Ingredients:
~ 3 cups of butternut squash, cubed (I used one full container of the peeled and cubed butternut squash sold at Trader Joe's)
-1 Tbsp Olive oil
-2 tsp Cinnamon
-1 tsp Nutmeg
-2 tsp Curry Powder
-Dash of salt and pepper


Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Place squash and the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and toss
  3. Put the squash in a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until squash is tender when a fork is inserted

After watching a lot of football this weekend my mind was drawn to the colors on my plate and the upcoming green vs orange showdown (for those of you non-football followers my Green Bay Packers play the Chicago Bears this weekend for a spot in the Superbowl). I hope the game is as good as this meal was. I was in complete bliss the rest of the evening and reminded that a good meal in with family is priceless.  

2 comments:

  1. Do you guys have plans for the Packer game? You shouldn't be left alone with a Vikings fan for this epic of a game. Let me know because Nate and I will definitely be tuning in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are free and I'd love company to cheer them on. I have to say I married the most supportive Vikings fan in the world. He cheered just as loud as I did and still ranks the Packers as his #2 team!

    ReplyDelete