Monday, November 22, 2010

Kale Chips


As a dietitian selecting a favorite vegetable is near impossible and ever changing but my most recent favorite is kale.  I first was introduced to kale chips  by my amazing friend and Twin Cities Live Host, Elizabeth Ries. My husband and I have been hooked ever since the first time I made them and it's one of the only foods he will request I make. It's definitely a good thing to fall in love with since it is only 34 calories per cup but packed with nutrition including beta carotene, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and lots of minerals including iron and calcium. It is truly a guilt free treat!

We grew kale in our garden this year and it was like the giving tree. It grew and grew and grew and still was fresh to eat through earlier this month (until it got covered by snow). I started passing it out to friends, dropping it off in my neighbors mailbox and serving it for every occasion and it was a hit!
So, I dare those of you who are scared to try leafy greens to make this recipe. You won't be disappointed.

Roasted Kale Chips:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Wash 1-2 bunches of kale, remove stems, tear into small pieces
3. Toss with 2 tsp olive oil and spread on baking sheet
4. Salt and pepper lightly
5. Bake until crisp and slightly golden around edges (10 minutes) --> I will warn you that you have to watch them closely as they can burn quickly. 


  

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for this recipe!!

    Thanks for introducing me to these (and keeping me supplied with Kale all summer)! :)

    ReplyDelete